Saturday, April 21, 2012

Step 21: The view from afar...

From Grandma in Parenthood:
“You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster. Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride! I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”



What does it look like looking in the world of autism from the outside for us?  I’m sure it is very different looking at the Guppy’s world than a “typical” autism household, if there is such a thing. What a roller-coaster ride you guys have been on.  But, as grandma said in “Parenthood” she likes the roller-coaster.

I have said I don’t know what I would do if something happened to one of my children. You’ve stood over one of yours thinking he was dead, you watch him go through seizure after seizure and there’s nothing you can do to make it go away. You take him out and watch people stare at him and wonder what’s wrong with him. You watched him as he walked, with no fear, across your upstairs banister, and pray he doesn’t fall and the list is endless…….. I, honestly, often compare something I’m going through to things you deal with every day and my frustration with the situation lessens and I am thankful for the little things more often.  God has given you, Todd and Matt a strength that can only come from Him.

This is not a pat the Guppy’s on the back letter. It’s a letter telling you what an inspiration you are to others. I know that’s not your motive as you tell us about your trials and victories, but it lets us use your life as a testimony to help others, along with help us with our own selfish lives.

I remember a time while Matt and Todd came by to visit, Matt was lying on the floor with his computer, no television was on and we were all doing our own thing, with computers of course, and all of a sudden Matt said, “Listen dad, it’s so quiet.” We certainly take even little things like that for granted.

It was good to see Todd and Matt and fun to hang out with them for a couple of days, but we missed you. You could tell how proud Todd was of Mathew when they were here. They both treated each other with so much love and respect and admiration and when they spoke about you it was with the same emotions. I think Matt has probably had more love showered on him and has been assured that he is needed even more than most families do that don’t have a child with autism, which requires all of their time and energy. He has matured and grown through so many of his life’s circumstances. He seems wise far beyond his years. So many people in his future will benefit from his wisdom as
we have from yours. Even though Brandon’s Autism takes up so much of your time and energy, you always made certain that Matthew was never left out or in need of your attention. He knows beyond a shadow of a doubt the depth of love you and Todd have for him. I look at your faith, your steadfast approach and “never give up” attitude and it kind of makes me feel like an underachiever at times.

One thing I am extremely thankful for is that God gave Brandon this wonderful family. I can’t imagine that he could have better care or be loved more and certainly no better advocate to go to battle for him.

We love you guys. Keep up the faith and keep teaching us through your writings.


Bill & Kathy Bush
      From Oklahoma